Thursday 24 May 2012

Immigration Day

Thursday 24th May

The whole of 2nd grade joined together today to experience what it was like to be an early 20th century immigrant with immigration day.  I dressed up in a tartan dress, a head shawl to keep me warm and a satchel to carry my things.  Even my teacher had dressed up with a peaked cap and braces.  All of us were bundled up together in one classroom to remember how crowded it was on the boats. When we disembarked we had to complete a written test and we were given a passport.  We then had to visit the immigration officers - one for legal test who checked our names and what we were going to do on admission, one for mental test who checked we could think straight and the last one was a medical check.  The doctors checked our eyes, throat, hair for lice and listened to our chests.  My doctor (in fact my Mummy.....) was really mean and I failed the test and had to go to quarantine until I was healthy.  Once our passports were fully stamped we could enter USA.  We then got to try food from all the different countries people have come from in my class.  I liked the chocolate croissant from France.  I think I am glad that we emigrated in 21st century on an aeroplane.

No comments:

Post a Comment