Monday 21 November 2011

Thanksgiving

Well this week hosts possibly the most important holiday of the year for many Americans, Thanksgiving. It's my first Thanksgiving spent in the US and I'm lucky enough to have been invited to spend it with a local family so I've been doing a bit of research in preparation.....
Thanksgiving is celebrated in America every year on the fourth Thursday of November, and whilst it has similarities to Harvest Festival has taken on special significance due to the hardships experienced by the early settlers (of which more in a later post perhaps). For most Americans it revolves around a family celebration (hence it is also one of the worst times to travel in the USA because everyone else is going 'home'). Turkey seems to figure quite highly on the menu, rather like a UK Christmas, but I haven't heard anyone mention Brussels Sprouts yet so it can't be all bad, right? Thanksgiving has also been marked by parades, and many cities still have large ones, and also often marks the end of the American College Football season so many people watch a football game.
I'll let you know how I get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment